1.BOOK DISTRIBUTION AND SHORT-TERM TRAINING AND READING HABIT DEVELOPMENT
(books were supported by the Asia Foundation, The Danish Association of School Librarians(DASL), Nepali Poet Bhim Nidhi Tiwari Foundation, the International Association of School Librarians (IASL) book project grant, and individuals.
• Book distribution program:
- To start a new library and expand and sustaining existing libraries in schools
- To train librarians to handle medium-sized libraries
- To promote reading habits to students and to develop independent reading habit
- To promote Let’s Read Digital Library and other story and literature
● Online training, seminar, demonstration, and interaction program have done in the following:
- Health Education about COVID 19 (story,rhymes and question-answer story)
- Let’s Read Digital Library story recitation and uploading in NASL Nepal page and FB
- Book review demonstration and training classes through Zoom for children, teachers and parents
- Training, Seminar, and interaction programs through ZOOM
- Visit schools and share ideas
- Project work for junior and senior children
- online resources to schools and children from various free sources
Purpose of storytelling:
Storytelling is a great activity of learning. It can enhance intercultural understanding and communication.
- It uniquely helps children to develop an understanding, respect, and appreciation for their own culture and others as well, teaches about life, about ourselves, and others
- It promotes a positive attitude to people from different lands, races, and religions.
- It offers insights into different traditions and values
- It Promotes a feeling of well-being and relaxation
- It Increases children’s willingness to communicate thoughts and feelings
- It Encourages active participation
- It Increases verbal proficiency
- It encourages the use of imagination and creativity and encourages cooperation between children
- It develops listening, reading writing, and communication skills)
- It helps children consider new ideas
3. Book Review and its purpose
A book review can be a fun and valuable activity for children. It helps children to describe the overall purpose and structures of the book. It offers a useful insight into whether or not a book is genuinely worth reading. A book review can show us how deeply the child has engaged with the various levels of meaning within the story. It helps them to think about what they will include in the review, and what they will leave out.
• Book review helps children for following skills and knowledge:
- It helps children to engage more deeply with what they are reading
- will be able to find their author and their favorite books
- It develops sharing their love of reading and recommendation of the book
- It helps to understand the various level of meaning with the story
- It can help the children to connect events themes and deeper understanding of the story
- It helps to understand the different cultures
- it can help them understand which ‘types’ of books they enjoy
- It can be a great way to help children develop their vocabulary
- It can help them understand which ‘types’ of books they enjoy
Book review templates and reading log for junior and senior children were developed and demonstrated and also 2 book reviews were received and will be uploaded on FB and NASL page.
4.Zoom Interaction program for stakeholders and book handover event on the occasion of the 13th library day , 31 Aug,2020
-To make an understanding of the importance of the school library for quality education
- To make aware of the role of all types of stakeholders to improve quality in education and school library standards and also to make aware of stakeholders’ significant role to fulfill the objectives and key strategy of SSDP 2016 – 2023.
This is a very interesting moment with children. Some children and parents were found very active users but some parents need more effort to use the zoom app. We have had a very lively interaction with them. We found many parents and children have no devices to learn with zoom and any other online courses as well Participants were ranging from 20 to 100 children and more than 100. So we couldn’t enter children in the room more than 100 and parents were ranging from 8 to 20 numbers.
We faced some difficulty with more children at a time. We plan to break down the numbers 20 to 30 at a time. So we could interact effortlessly.
● School visit:
- Schools of Kathmandu, Hetauda and Sinduli were visited and shared ideas about further online and physical training.
Three Kathmandu Schools were visited. books were supported and held a meeting with headmasters, librarians, and teachers for a future online program. We also talk about book donation purpose and the best way of reading books and use the needed information.
● Project work
● Project work provides a learning experience in which students have the opportunity to synthesize knowledge from various areas of learning and apply it critically and creatively to real-life situations.
● It provides learning experience purpose of schooling as developing future citizens and providing the basis for each child to fulfill their potential.
The theoretical frame and template of project work were demonstrated for teaching the process and skills of project work by developing questions systematically and taught how to organized knowledge step by step. It is a whole-child approach to education which focuses on the all-round development of a child (Physical, social, mental, emotional, and cognitive). This approach is sequential steps and processes from KG to grade 12.
Project work helps to promote junior children’s imagination, conceptions, subject knowledge, creativity, planning about learning, and completing and developing.
● College Library, Community Library, and Hospital Library
The aim of supporting books to the college library, community library, and hospital library are as follows:
- To develop the reading habit of the user.
- To support their information needs and to help use knowledge and information to their assessments and workplace
- To promote reading culture inside their premises, sustain the library, establish a learned society, and flourishing democracy.
• Outcomes: books and materials were supported by more than 363 schools and training and seminar were provided to around 1100 people.
NASL also works for community libraries, hospital libraries, and office libraries except for School Libraries.
NASL has supported 21 community libraries, 26 hospitals, 15 college libraries, 5 Ministry and department libraries, and 4 Military Barack.
The purposes of donating books to hospital are as follows:
• Providing information to medical officers, doctors and nurses
• Growing , and to sustain hospital libraries;
The purpose of book donation to orphan home is as follows:
• to establish library in the home;
• to establish reading habit ,Reading skills, lifelong reading and learning habit and improve literacy;
• To develop different extracurricular activities and for pleasure reading.
- Training and orientation classes
Training and orientation classes were provided to students, librarian, and stakeholders along with the book handover events
The purpose of orientation classes and training are as follows:
Child to child learning program was established in schools because this kind of program is very powerful to educate children. This is the (student’s train the traineer, (TOT) program with special packages of let’s read digital learning, giggleIT writing project and school project work.
This TOT program aims to educate students in school to produce knowledgeable students who after this training program will be able to do project work in better and organized way, can learn through net and able to train other students in the school together with teacher. This program will be very beneficial and encourageable to students to learn from each other. 10 high school students from each grade or students from senior grade will be trained as a trainer to train other students in the school.
The purpose of this training is as follows:
• To develop children to be able to do project / research in process of learning format by using research model instead project work in a scrap book form
• will be able to write bibliography and place citation ( according to the students level/ grade)
• able to use DDC Scheme in broad number to locate resources
• able to use search engines and URL where computer and computer literacy is available in school
• able to use the apps of Let’s Learn Digital Library through play store and able to view, read, and downloads and help parents to learn apps for their juniors
• able to use GiggleIT writing platform with teacher.
- Training and orientation classes to librarians
Short training and orientation classes were provided to librarians. They were trained to apply their policies, and technical processing of documents, and reading habit promotion activities.
Aim of the librarian training and orientation classes:
The librarian training and orientation classes aim to provide some insight on the following:
• They will be able to develop their policy.
• They will be able to start planning to offer different library activities and develop library as a pleasurable platform and promote reading habit.
• They will be able to do technical processing of books and other materials.
- Stakeholder’s idea sharing program
- To bring awareness to stakeholders about their roles and responsibility ;
- To improve atmosphere, space, resources and professionalism in their organization etc.
INTEGRATION OF LIVING VALUE EDUCATION PROGRAM:
In each training course, Living Value Educational Program (LVEP) was integrated to bring positive thought in students and develop a value based atmosphere in organization. This program will bring healthy relationship in the organization. And specially school children need this program because today’s Children are increasingly affected by violence, growing social problems, lack of respect for each other and the world around them, while their teachers and parents are impacted by new challenges and pressures.
Parents and educators are seeking for help for discipline because children are surrounded by varieties of print, non-print and online resources. Some have very positive impact and some haven’t and they give negative impact. The concern to the stakeholders specially parents and teachers will be ‘how to bring up children with positive attitude.